"Cinema is the most beautiful fraud in the world."
I was in a random mood to update my journal, and I had so much fun with my "Guess the Lyrics" journal a few weeks ago, silvervulpine.deviantart.com/j…
That I wanted to do something similar. But as much as I'd like to repeat the previous meme, I want to at least TRY and pretend to not be derivative.
So, I decided to do something else, and just like last time, YOU ALL CAN PLAY ALONG!!!
1. Select 20 random quotes from 20 random movies and post them here in your journal and have your friends and watchers try to guess which movie you're quoting.
2. GOOGLING IS CHEATING! This is based on the merits of memory recall alone.
3. Once you're done, tag 20 friends and spread the awesomeness! (although I'll make this an optional tag with no obligation or pressure.)
I'll even sweeten the pot by saying that anyone who gets one or more correct answer (NO GOOGLING, YOU LITTLE HOOLIGANS! SERIOUSLY! SCOUTS HONOR!) Will get... A prize of some sort.
"ROLL EM'! ROLL EM'! ROLL EM'!"
1. I've lived through many ages. I've seen suffering in the darkness. Yet I have seen beauty thrive in the most fragile of places. I have seen the book. The book that turned darkness into light.
"The Secret of Kells"
2. I've studied the form of comics intimately. I spent a third of my life in a hospital bed with nothing else to do but read. I believe comics are a last link to an ancient way of passing on History. The Egyptians drew on walls. Countries all over the world pass on knowledge through pictorial form. I believe comics are a form of history that someone, somewhere felt or experienced. Then of course those experiences and that history got chewed up in the commercial machine, got jazzed up, made titilating, cartooned for the sale rack.
3. Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
"Dr. Strangelove: Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb."
4. Okay, Kitty Kat. This feels "borderline" inappropriate.
5. There are many perfectly nice cats in the world, but every barrel has its bad apples, and it is well to heed the old adage, "Beware the bad cat bearing a grudge."
6. Let's just assume for the moment that everyone in here doesn't like me!
7. Archaeology is the search for fact... not truth. If it's truth you're looking for, Dr. Tyree's philosophy class is right down the hall.
"Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade"
8. Sex is a risky game, because if you're not careful, it will cut you wide open.
9. We have currently a built-in allergy to unpleasant or disturbing information. Our mass media reflect this. But unless we get up off our fat surpluses and recognize that television in the main is being used to distract, delude, amuse, and insulate us, then television and those who finance it, those who look at it, and those who work at it, may see a totally different picture too late.
10. Beware the beast Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him; drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
"Planet of the Apes"
11. I love you. And not, not in a friendly way, although I think we're great friends. And not in a misplaced affection, puppy-dog way, although I'm sure that's what you'll call it. I love you. Very, very simple, very truly. You are the-the epitome of everything I have ever looked for in another human being. And I know that you think of me as just a friend, and crossing that line is-is-is the furthest thing from an option you would ever consider. But I had to say it. I just, I can't take this anymore. I can't stand next to you without wanting to hold you. I can't-I can't look into your eyes without feeling that-that longing you only read about in trashy romance novels. I can't talk to you without wanting to express my love for everything you are. And I know this will probably queer our friendship - no pun intended - but I had to say it, 'cause I've never felt this way before, and I-I don't care. I like who I am because of it. And if bringing this to light means we can't hang out anymore, then that hurts me. But God, I just, I couldn't allow another day to go by without just getting it out there, regardless of the outcome, which by the look on your face is to be the inevitable shoot-down. And, you know, I'll accept that. But I know, I know that some part of you is hesitating for a moment, and if there's a moment of hesitation, then that means you feel something too. And all I ask, please, is that you just - you just not dismiss that, and try to dwell in it for just ten seconds. Alyssa, there isn't another soul on this fucking planet who has ever made me half the person I am when I'm with you, and I would risk this friendship for the chance to take it to the next plateau. Because it is there between you and me. You can't deny that. Even if, you know, even if we never talk again after tonight, please know that I am forever changed because of who you are and what you've meant to me, which - while I do appreciate it - I'd never need a painting of birds bought at a diner to remind me of.
12. Language was invented for one reason, boys--to woo women--and, in that endeavor, laziness will not do.
13. I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.
14. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
"The Dark Knight"
15. Because it's all logic and reason now. Science, progress, laws of hydraulics, laws of social dynamics, laws of this, that, and the other. No place for three-legged cyclops in the South Seas. No place for cucumber trees and oceans of wine. No place for me.
16. Now, I don't know about y'all, but I sure as hell didn't come down from the goddamn Smoky Mountains, cross five thousand miles of water, fight my way through half of Sicily and jump out of a fuckin' air-o-plane to teach the Nazis lessons in humanity. Nazi ain't got no humanity. They're the foot soldiers of a Jew-hatin', mass murderin' maniac and they need to be dee-stroyed. That's why any and every every son of a bitch we find wearin' a Nazi uniform, they're gonna die.
17. Well, in all my years I ain't never heard, seen nor smelled an issue that was so dangerous it couldn't be talked about. Hell yeah! I'm for debating anything. Rhode Island says yea!
18. I don't know, Sparks. But I guess I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space.
19. I wanna tell you something Mark, something you do not yet know, that we have been around long enough to have discovered: The universe will expand, then it will collapse back on itself, then will expand again. It will repeat this process forever. What you don't you know is that when the universe expands again, everything will be as it is now. Whatever mistakes you make this time around, you will live through on your next pass. Every mistake you make, you will live through again, & again, forever. So my advice to you is to get it right this time around. Because this time is all you have.
20. One thing about living in Santa Carla I never could stomach, all the damn vampires.
"The Lost Boys"
All right... Now whom shall I tag?