"Peace and justice are two sides of the same coin."
-General Dwight D. Eisenhower
I hope you're all enjoying your respective memorial day weekends in whatever corner of this 3.7 million square mile mass of land... and dirt that we call home.
And to my American Expat friends (you know who you are.
) I salute you!
And to all my international chums, I extend my brotherly love to you while you all try to recover from the dangerously unstable global economy.
Well, in any case.
I have recently had the distinction of being tagged by two wonderful Deviant people. My pals
I've done more than my share of tags in the past, so seeing as how I received two tags more or less simultaneously, I figured why not do both!
First, I'll start with my dear friend and Jedi Padawan
For her tag, I am to fill out.. THE NERD MEME!!!
[x] I spend most of my time reading, gaming, or on the computer
[x] I wear glasses
[ ] I correct people on their grammar and spelling in texts
[x] I have studied Latin
[x] I can recite the first ten digits of pi
Total so far: 4/5
[ ] I do homework when I don't need to (I haven't had to do actual homework in some time.)
[ ] I have more friends online than I do in real life (oddly, this is not so. Which is more of a surprise to me than anyone.)
[ ] I have braces/ have worn braces
[x] I enjoy browsing the dictionary to get a bigger vocabulary
[ ] I own/owned a fake lightsaber (Hard to believe, no?)
[ ] My math teacher and I are friends (That's a laugh.
Total so far: 5/10
[ ] The last time I was invited to a party was several years ago
[x] People come to me to ask me about LOTR ( With an elephantine memory like mine, yes.)
[x] I have written Fan Fiction (embarrassingly enough.
[x] I noticed that there has been no punctuation until the line above this.
[ ] I have watched every Star Trek movie (Star Wars geek. Sorry.
Total so far: 8/15
[ ] I am in love with Tom Baker, David Tennant, or Matt Smith. You get an extra point if you're male.
[x] I've never been asked out on a date (Dudes must do the asking, so sayeth the social contract.)
[x] I know what "http" stands for
[ ] I have acne and/or really pale skin- possibly from sitting in front of a computer (Haven't had acne in some time, and I'm blessed with the tanned sexiness of Italian skin.)
[ ] I have 5+ songs from video games in my iTunes library (Only 3.
Total so far: 10/20
[ ] I have attended a comic con (Odd, isn't it?)
[x] I have attempted learning a fake language, such as Elven or Dwarf (Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo
[ ] I freaked out when I discovered that krypton was an actual element
[ ] I play more than one instrument (Only the shoehorn.)
[x] Nobody has ever heard of the music I listen to. (All to familiar to me, having my friends in high school see my buying Chinese bamboo flute music and bearing a quizzical expression.)
Wow... Only 12 out of 25. That's only 48% nerd by the standards of this quiz.
Sorry, my Padawan.
I'm afraid I've let you down.
Well, I can move aside from my failure there and onto greener pastures.
Here I am referring of course to a very talented and linguistically gifted young artist
Basically we have here, a variant of the "Tell us about yourself" meme, and the rules are as follows.
1. Post these rules.
2. You must post 10 things about yourself in your journal.
3. At the end, you have to choose and tag 10 people and post their icons in the same journal.
4. Go to their pages and send a message saying you tagged them.
5. No tag-backs.
LETS DO THIS!!!
1. I have occasionally given thought to the names of my unborn children. For the moment, I've decided on "Shaak Ti" and "Superfly."
(Now I know what you're thinking: "HOW DO YOU KNOW THEY'RE GOING TO BE GIRLS?!?!")
2. Having become a huge fan of Doug Walker, particularly the Nostalgia Critic, my eye for good acting and good storytelling has been sharpened. I've become much more discerning in regards to good storytelling and good acting.
Whenever I see a bad performance now, I like to add my own, helpful commentary. Al la Doug. [link]
3. The one time I've made someone literally angry with jealousy was when I showed my friend Liz my copy of the Les Halles cookbook autographed by Anthony Bourdain.
4. When I was fifteen and on a class trip to France, my prodigious foot speed made me the most adept at keeping pace with our fast, blonde, leggy, Danish guide, Camille. Walking far ahead of my doughy high school peers and beleaguered chaperones through the streets of Rouen, Camille would regale me with the history of her adopted homeland: The dawn of neolithic man on the primitive planes, battling the Megafauna, the rise and fall of Napoleon, and of course the route cause of the French Revolution being noted American, Benjamin Franklin introducing the diplomatic practice of giving erotic massages to the French Aristocracy in exchange for arms and supplies for the Continental Army in America.
She was so smart.
5. When I lived in Florida, I took up scuba diving, partially to make friends, partially to expand my opportunities for photography, and partially to explore the relation between the unseen depths of the ocean and the human subconscious.
6. I've written one novel and am about 30 chapters into a second. The first was 313,683 words, and the second looks to be even longer once it's done. It gets me to thinking I might have been Homer in a past life... The poet, not the Simpson's character.
7. I've been privy to the burning of at least six American flags in my life, including the very flag that few over the U.S.S. Nautilus on it's journey under the polar ice caps.
(Anyone who's spent any time in the Boy Scouts knows that the honorable way to disposed of an old or damaged American flag after it's become too decrepit to serve as a symbol for our nation... is to burn it. Hence, anyone who seeks to make it illegal to burn an American flag also inherently seeks to make it illegal to honorably retire an American flag.)
8. I couldn't name my favorite movies or favorite songs to save my life. But my favorite books... [link]
That's another mater.
9. I count myself fortunate for having seen one of my idols, George Carlin, perform live before his death.
10. I try to live by the advice my grandma gave me: "Always keep Irish whiskey on hand. You never know when it might be useful."
... That's not a joke.
Well, that was kinda fun!
Now I know I'm required to tag ten people...
But that got me to thinking... Since I technically got tagged twice, and the other tag DOESN'T require me to tag anyone, I think that would negate my need to tag anyone.
So I have no recourse but to NOT tag ten people!
You're not tagged.
You're so not tagged.
You're REALLY not tagged.
You're absolutaly not tagged.
Go watch Glee and drool over Neil Patrick Harris... you know you want to.
You're all-encompassingly not tagged.
You are very, very not tagged.
"Mama don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys."
You don't even know the meaning of "Tagged."
You're TOTALLY NOT tagged!
Well, that about does it for me.
Happy memorial Day, everybody!
"Life's most urgent question is: What are you doing for others?"
-Martin Luther King Jr.
As a special caveat, I am going to ACTUALLY tag my friend,